Saturday, May 12, 2012

a few of the things i made.. hecho en mexico

 
So 15 rings in around 24 hours. That’s averages a ring every 1 ½ hours! I only had a week at sterling quest school before coming home so when I was asked what I wanted to learn I said it as to make a simple ring learning the basics of soldering and setting stones. So that is exactly what I did. Instead of trying to make something too fancy I wanted to learn something I could repeat on my own. Now, there are not that many crazy techniques, tricks, steps to making a simple ring but if you forget one or don’t do them right, it not working is the least of your worries. So, I repeated the same thing as much as I could, the first half supervised, teacher billy king drilling the all the steps and info into my head with good hopes of it sticking. With a promise that I would continue doing nothing but this type of ring, the second half was working on my own, sometimes the last to leave, closing up the studio as night fell. You could study new techniques for decades and I am sure one could learn more at this school then most. I also learned how to set up a working bench that I could afford. Many don’t know that most jewelry supplies are the same sold at the hardware shop. the difference is $40 verses $7. I’m happy, for now, to continue to master the steps and tricks to making a beautiful and simple ring, but I will be returning to mexico for more!

 
I like to call these stack rings “stack of bones? And “camel stack”. Inspired by the timelessness of stone and my desert surrounding.
 
              You can stack them in so many ways or wear them on there own.



 
                                I JUST START ADDING ON MORE!!


                                                I’m  enjoying this